SUSTAINABILITY is the integrated pursuit of social equity, environmental integrity, and economic security for current and future generations.
Our mission is to integrate sustainability as a core principle throughout operations, research, and education at the University of Utah and to support initiatives that cultivate the campus as a living laboratory.
Our vision is to create a culture of responsibility by integrating the values of sustainability in all facets of the University of Utah and to serve as a model for what is possible.
Our Core Values
- Collecting data and best practices to track progress and implement change;
- Connecting campus sustainability practices, programs, and people;
- Creating a living, learning laboratory on campus;
- Catalyzing and leading the campus community toward action;
- Communicating campus sustainability initiatives and successes.
Based on a SOAR analysis summit conducted in January 2019, the Sustainability Office has set the following 5 aspirations to be achieved by June 30, 2022:
- That our campus (design, facilities, operations) is a leading-edge sustainable campus that inspires others to treat their campuses as living labs.
- That both wellness and social/environmental justice are deeply embedded in all sustainability efforts.
- That all students are global citizens of sustainability.
- That the organizational resources allocated to sustainability efforts reflect the core value position and urgency of the issue to university leadership.
- That the university is viewed as a national leader in sustainability research and education.
Click here to view the Strategic Vision for the Sustainability Office created in the January 2019 SOAR summit.
Working with the Sustainability Office
The Sustainability Office is a resource for the students, faculty, staff and our community. We support the University’s commitments for climate action and drive strategies toward carbon neutrality through sustainable education, research, engagement, and campus progress.