Celebrate initiatives to integrate social equity, economic prosperity, and ecological integrity by participating in the University of Utah’s Earth Week activities. Hosted by the ASUU Sustainability Board and Sustainability Office, with support from other organizations.
Thank you for attending Earth Week 2021!
Throughout the Week
- Letter to the Future President
Monday, April 12
- 12 PM Divestment Virtual Townhall. Provide feedback on the draft report produced by the Senate Ad Hoc Committee for Divestment and Reinvestment Investigation. (sponsored by Academic Senate)
- 4:30 PM Chief Sustainability Officer Virtual Open Forum for Students. Hear Chief Sustainability Officer Kerry Case describe the university’s vision to move forward with sustainability and climate action planning, and ask questions about how the U will get there. Register online. (sponsored by Sustainability Office)
Tuesday, April 13
- 10 AM – 4 PM Window Garden Kit giveaway with the ASUU Sustainability Board. Come pick up materials to make your own window garden at the Union Lawn. (sponsored by ASUU)
- 12 PM Hinckley Forum: The Role of Arts in Climate Change Communication. Join U collaborators from Artivism For Earth, a 1U4U-funded initiative, as they explore the role of the arts in communicating the science and urgency of climate change. Featuring faculty members Hasse Borup, Katharine Coles, John C. Lin, and Wendy Wischer, moderated by Liz Ivkovich from Utah Presents. Watch live on YouTube! (sponsored by Artivism for Earth and the Sustainability Office)
- 4 PM GCSC Seminar: Liliana Caughman, Native Environmental Science Faculty, Northwest Indian College. “From Climate Action to Climate Justice: How scenarios, partnerships, and community priorities are driving equitable urban sustainability and resilience planning in Portland, Oregon.” (sponsored by the Global Change & Sustainability Center)
Wednesday, April 14
- 11 AM-3 PM (In-person!) Active Transportation Day @ Campus Bike Shop. Register your bike to get a free lock (bring bike and U identification), plus learn about safety tips, the Campus Bike Shop, bike routes, and more! (sponsored by ASUU, Sustainability Office, Campus Police, and Commuter Services)
- 12 PM Cli-Fi Book Discussion. Tune in with the Marriott Library, ASUU Sustainability Board and the Sustainability Office for a discussion on some of our favorite climate related books. We’ll relay the discussion and people can participate via comments with Marriott Library’s Facebook lib.utah.edu/live (sponsored by Marriott Library & ASUU)
Thursday, April 15
- 4 PM Keynote: Healing & Feeling, Resilience in an Age of Climate Chaos. Join Good Grief Network co-founders LaUra Schmidt and Aimee Lewis Reau as they explore coping with collective grief and other heavy emotions that arise in response to daunting planetary crises, and how to move forward toward meaningful action. Schmidt is an alum of the University of Utah’s Environmental Humanities program. Register online. (sponsored by Sustainability Office & ASUU)
Friday, April 16
- 10 AM – 4 PM Self-Guided Tree Tour. Check out the University’s self-guided campus tree tour and swing by the Union Lawn to pick up an engagement kit to live more sustainably! (sponsored by ASUU)
EARTH DAY EVENTS
Thursday, April 22
- All day Artivism For Earth. This 1U4U project at the University of Utah brings together prominent artists, educators and scientists from the U campus and across the nation to create artworks informed by the science on climate change effects in Utah and globally. Event list at Artivism for Earth website.