The choices we make in our work environment impact the natural environment. Departments and offices represent a large portion of energy and material use, and waste generation on campus. By making smarter choices, we can integrate sustainability principles into day-to-day activities on campus. Our Green Office program provides tools, support, and guidance to colleges and departments to help make your campus life more sustainable.
Start your certification process today by completing the “Office” section of the checklist. It’s easy and can be done in less than 1 hour.
- Identify your “Green Office Educator.” If you are filling out the checklist, that would be you.
- Post your checklist in a visible place in your breakroom or your office community space to remind people that your office is committed to environmental sustainability and actively supporting larger campus initiatives.
- Next, send an email to your department members letting them know that the department or college is working towards certification. Encourage them to learn more about campus sustainability initiatives and support the effort by doing any of the following:
- Volunteering to help your team get certified!
- Signing up for the Sustainability Office newsletter
- Following the Sustainability Office blog
- Following Sustainable U of U on social media (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter)
Make sure Green Office practices are part of the new hire orientation process. Explain what the program entails and let them know how they can help support the effort. It can be as simple as sharing the above information during your office tour, describing your team’s ecofriendly purchasing practices, sharing resources related to sustainable transportation options and acquainting them with the recycling program.
More resources and information can be found here.