The Sustainability Teaching Professorship is designed to further engage a faculty member in developing sustainability education resources in order to promote the inclusion of sustainability in curriculum campus-wide. The selected faculty will work closely with the Director of Sustainability Education on various projects and events to strengthen and enhance sustainability education across the University of Utah campus.
The award of $10,000 is made possible by the Sustainability Office’s commitment to Sustainability Education. The funds may be used in any way that enables the recipient to carry out the proposed activities, e.g., to reimburse the recipient’s department for release time, pay a research assistant, travel to conferences, and purchase supplies or equipment, or additional compensation payment. It is open to all faculty members (tenure or career line) at the University of Utah.
Applications for the 2024/2025 Sustainability Teaching Professorship are due by March 22, 2024.
The Sustainability Teaching Professorship will be awarded for one academic year, starting August 1 and ending May 31. The recipient must be available for this entire time period and complete the following requirements:
- Meet with the Director of Sustainability Education before the fall semester begins to outline the Professorship's activities and outcomes for the year.
- Assist the Director of Sustainability Education with the planning and implementation of the following year’s Sustainability Teaching Workshop. Registration for the workshop is open until April 29, 2024.
- Give a presentation at the Sustainability Teaching Workshop on the sustainability work in which they are personally engaged.
- Attend one Sustainability Education Advisory Committee (SEAC) meeting during this time period.
Applicants are required to provide:
- Cover letter
- CV that highlights the sustainability education and research in which they are involved.
- A brief description of ideas that you have for integrating sustainability across campus.
The Sustainability Teaching Professor will help plan and facilitate the Sustainability Teaching workshop.
All required materials will be submitted through the application.
Selection Criteria & Information
The Sustainability Education Advisory Committee will review all nominations.